One of the worst feelings in the world is when your car starts having problems while you’re driving. The first thing you’ll ask yourself is why did it happen and then what are you going to do about it?
What Can Cause a Car to Die While Driving?
1. You ran out of gas. It will most likely happen to everyone at some point in time. If you find that it’s happening too often you should have the gas gauge looked at as it might be giving false readings.
2. The ignition switch is malfunctioning. You might have a loss of power to the engine if the ignition switch is worn down. The loss of power will cause the engine to die as you drive.
3. You’re having problems with the alternator. If the alternator starts to have problems, the car will run off of the battery. Once the battery has been drained, the car will die. A bad alternator will make it impossible for you to jump your car.
4. The fuel pump isn’t working properly. Your car can also die if something is clogging the fuel pump or a filter in the car. Connecting hoses may also be the issue if they have become worn or disconnected.
5. Malfunctioning sensors. Today’s cars are full of computers. All the sensors that are attached to those computers can sometimes send incorrect information.
What to Do if Your Car Shuts Off While Driving?
First things first; take a deep breath and remain clam. It’s important to keep yourself and other drivers safe.
Step 1- Pull the car to the side of the road. Even if you’ve lost steering and braking power, you can still pull over until the vehicle comes to a complete stop- it will just be a little but harder. If you have problems doing so, move to the safest area you can and apply the emergency brake.
Step 2- Try to start the car again. If you can start the car again, that’s great, but you still need to get the car to a repair shop to get the problem figured out.
Step 3- Turn the hazard lights on. The best way to keep your car safe and other drivers safe is to make it as visible as possible. The hazard lights will do just that.
Step 4- Call for towing or roadside assistance. Call a tow truck to have your car taken to a repair shop so you can get back on the road as soon as possible.
Towing & Roadside Assistance in Irving, Fort Worth, Arlington, Carrolton & Plano Texas
There are many reasons that your car might die on your while you’re driving. New cars can die on you just as easily as older cars. Know your car and have regular maintenance performed to keep it in tip top shape. Keep at least a quarter tank of gas in your car all times and don’t ignore warning lights. It’s also smart to keep a flashlight, jumper cables, and a multi-tool in your car. Contact Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance if you find yourself stranded on the side of the road.