When you get into your car, you are responsible for keeping yourself, the people in the car and the motorists around you safe. You need to do all you can to prevent an accident from happening. Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance list lots of defensive driving tips to help you prevent an accident.
Ways to Prevent Car Accidents on the Road
1. Manage distractions while driving. Life gets busy and is full of distractions but there are distractions that you can avoid like using your cell phone while you’re driving, along with texting and playing around with the GPS. You need to give the road 100% of your attention. Things that can distract you while you drive can wait to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you.
2. Avoid driving in the left lane. Most accidents happen in the fast lane. This lane is full of drivers that simply drive too quickly. It’s easier to maneuver away from danger when you aren’t in the fast lane.
3. Defensive driving. Don’t make assumptions that other drivers are going to slow down or stop. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Even when you know it’s you turn at a light or four way stop, check anyway and scan the area. Many drivers make mistakes when they get distracted so be cautious to everything going on around you.
4. Beware of blind spots. Make sure your car mirrors are in the right positions and don’t put total faith in them. Always take a quick look before you change lanes or merge onto the highway. Try and stay out of other driver’s blind spots. This is even more important with semi-trucks. It’s impossible to completely avoid being in a blind spot but get out of them as quickly as you can.
5. Try to limit driving at night. It’s impossible to avoid nighttime driving. If you can limit it, you can avoid accidents. Even the best drivers can have problems when it’s dark outside. Visibility is reduced and there tend to be more drunk drivers on the road. Be extra vigilant when driving after midnight.
6. Learn to move like a racecar driver. This may seem like strange advice with the speeds that come with race car driving but car experts will tell you that all drivers should improve their driving skills. This can be done at a high-performance driving school. You can practice accident avoidance maneuvers and skid recovery in a safe, controlled environment. This can save your life!
7. Maintain your car. Keeping your vehicle in tip top shape is a great way to avoid problems that put you at risk of being involved in an accident. When your vehicle starts to make strange noises, or you notice any changes, get it looked at. You also need to keep an eye on your tires because old tires are at risk of a blowout and a potential accident.
Towing & Emergency Roadside Assistance in Irving, Fort Worth, Arlington, Carrollton & Plano Texas
As much as these tips can help avoid an accident, sometimes it won’t matter what you do, an accident can still happen. If you find yourself in a situation where you need towing or roadside assistance, contact Speedway Towing and Roadside Assistance.