Towing is one of those services that you might not think about until you actually need it. When the unexpected happens such as a flat tire, an accident, or any car trouble that leaves you stranded. A towing service becomes invaluable. But, what do you really know about towing? Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance would like to share some of the commonly asked questions about towing.
What are the Different Types of Tow Trucks?
There are primarily four types of tow trucks each having its own benefits.
• Flatbed Tow Trucks: Features a long platform bed. Cars can be driven or pulled onto the bed and move without touching the road.
• Hook and Chain Tow Trucks: Uses chains that go around the frame or axle of the vehicle. It is less common nowadays as it can damage the car.
• Wheel Lift Tow Trucks: Uses a metal yoke that fits under the front or rear wheels. It lifts part of the vehicle off the ground.
• Integrated Tow Trucks: A combination of wheel lift and boom. Mainly used for heavy-duty purposes.
How is the Cost of Towing Determined?
There are several different factors that determine the cost of a towing service which can include:
• Distance to be towed.
• Time of day or night.
• Type of vehicle (sedan, truck, SUV).
• Condition of the vehicle (if it has been in an accident).
• Location (city, rural, accessible or off-road).
Can I Choose where My Vehicle will be Towed?
Absolutely! Unless it is a police-ordered tow due to a violation, you typically have the right to choose your preferred destination.
Is it Possible to Tow My Car with Another Personal Vehicle?
While it is technically possible, it is not recommended unless you have the proper equipment and the understanding of how to tow properly. Improper towing can lead to accidents or further damage.
What Should I Do While Waiting for the Tow Truck?
Safety first! If you can, move your vehicle off the road. Turn on your hazard lights. Stay inside your car if it is safe to do so. If you need to exit, do it from the side away from traffic.
Do I Need to Be Present for My Car to Be Towed?
It is generally advisable for the owner to be present, especially to sign any necessary paperwork and to ensure the process is handled correctly.
How Do I Know if a Towing Company is Reputable?
When you are trying to find a reputable towing service you will want to look for:
• Proper licensing and certifications.
• Positive reviews and testimonials.
• Transparent pricing.
• Membership in professional organizations like the Towing and Recovery Association.
Can Tow Trucks Tow Any Type of Vehicle?
Most standard tow trucks can handle everyday vehicles. However, for specialized vehicles like heavy trucks, buses, or RVs, you will need a heavy-duty tow truck.
Will Insurance Cover the Cost of Towing?
This depends on your insurance policy. Some policies offer roadside assistance which covers towing. Always check with your insurance provider.
What if My Car is Illegally Parked & Gets Towed?
You will need to contact the local impound lot. There will likely be fees involved, and you might face additional penalties depending on local regulations.
Towing & Roadside Assistance in Irving, Fort Worth, Arlington, Carrollton & Plano Texas
Towing might seem straightforward, but there is a lot to consider when you are in need. Always prioritize safety and do not hesitate to ask questions when you are reaching out to a towing service. For quality towing and roadside assistance services, contact Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance today.