Suppose you find yourself stuck on the side of the road with a broken-down vehicle or are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, and your car is undrivable; you will need to contact a towing company as quickly as possible to tow your car or truck for repairs. One of the first questions people ask when arranging for a tow is which type of vehicle tow is best for my circumstances? Flatbed towing is one of the most popular options for several reasons, and knowledgeable Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance experts have provided the following info to help you make an informed decision.
What are the Benefits of Flatbed Towing?
1. Increased safety for your vehicle: A flatbed tow truck keeps your car off the road during transport, and among other things, prevents premature and uneven wear on your tires. Unlike other towing methods, flatbed towing keeps your car or truck secure to avoid your vehicle from getting bumped around as it is pulled over the surface of the road. Using the flatbed towing method also means your car is much less likely to be damaged by debris.
2. Flatbed towing is compatible with most types of vehicles: Flatbed towing is one of the most versatile types of towing for all makes and models. It can be used to transport safely and efficiently cars, trucks, SUVs, and even exotic cars and motorcycles as long as it fits on the flatbed.
3. Flatbed tow truck can be used for vehicles that have been involved in an accident: other towing methods, including dolly towing, cannot be used if they cannot securely attach the car to the pully or if the wheels are damaged. Flatbed towing can be used regardless of the vehicle’s condition because the wheels of the damaged vehicle never contact the road; instead, the car can be safely secured to the truck’s bed.
4. Convenient towing: Flatbed towing is safe and efficient and less time-consuming than other tow methods. For example, when a dolly is used, the tow truck driver will remove the driveshaft to prevent damage to the transmission during the tow, adding to the amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B.
When Do I Need a Flatbed Tow Truck?
Along with the benefits of flatbed towing, there are also several situations when you should insist on the services of a flatbed tow truck, including:
1. Long-distance towing: Flatbed towing is preferable if you need your vehicle to be hauled a long way to prevent additional wear and tear on the tires during transport. You may want to consider flatbed towing if you move to a different state and want to preserve your vehicle and prevent adding unnecessary miles.
2. Towing all-wheel drive vehicles: On front-wheel-drive cars, only the front wheels are connected to the driveshaft, and the rear wheels spin freely, making it easier to tow with a dolly. On the other hand, all-wheel vehicles can sustain damage to the drive shaft during towing with a dolly. A safer way to transport all-wheel-drive cars is to use a flatbed tow truck.
3. Flatbed towing is ideal for cars that have been lowered: A lowered vehicle towed by a dolly can be exposed to damage to the bumpers, exhaust, and oil pan. If your car has been lowered, a flatbed tow truck is the best option for towing your vehicle safely.
Towing & Roadside Assistance in Irving, Fort Worth, Arlington, Carrollton & Plano Texas
To learn more about roadside assistance and towing services, contact the experts at Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance today.