It’s always an inconvenience when your car breaks down and being stranded on the side of the road can be dangerous. It’s even worse if you’re on a long trip. While the majority of cars vary greatly, most of them are pretty similar when you look at what makes up the actual vehicle. That means most are affected by many of the same issues. Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance considers the most common reasons car breakdowns happen to help you avoid being stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow!
Top Car Breakdown Reasons
1. Car battery dies. The battery in your car won’t last forever. It will last for about five years if you’re lucky. If you want to make sure it won’t die on you unexpectedly you should replace it every three to four years. If you can’t remember when you replaced it last or you have left a light on overnight, have it tested. Most auto shops will test your battery for free and you’ll be glad to know if it’s reaching the end of its life, so you can have it replaced.
2. Car engine overheats. Your car will most likely overheat during the summer months but it’s common in the winter months as well. These are the times of year when the engine in your car is under tremendous stress due to hot and cold temperatures. It’s smart to have some antifreeze in your trunk so you’ll have enough to get you to an auto shop.
3. Transmission problems. It can be had to spot transmission problems in newer, computerized cars. A slipping transmission in older cars can now be an issue with sensors or engine control software instead. If you notice your car driving differently than you’re use to you should have the transmission checked out.
4. Empty gas tank. This is easy to avoid and it’s not a good idea to push your gas tank to its limit. To avoid running out of gas fill it up as soon as it gets to a quarter tank. This is more important if you’re traveling to an area you are unfamiliar with. You may not know where gas stations will be!
5. Tire wear & other problems. Your tires need to be taken care of if you want them to function correctly. They need to be inflated correctly or they won’t last as long as they should. You also need to look for cracks, tears or holes to save yourself from having a blowout on the road.
6. Locked keys in car. Not really a break down but you’re still stranded. AAA reports that about 4,000,000 drivers call for help every year because they have been locked out of their car. Keep a spare key with a close friend or family member that will be able to bring it to you if needed.
Towing & Roadside Assistance in Irving, Fort Worth, Arlington, Carrollton & Plano Texas
Many of these problems can be avoided with regular maintenance and a little auto awareness. Keep an eye on the things that can lead to problems and if your car does breakdown, contact Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance for towing and roadside assistance help!