If you spend any time on the road, and most of us do, there will come a time that you may need assistance from a towing company. You can be stuck due to inclement weather, a flat tire or because of a car accident. Your problems won’t be over until your car has been successfully towed away. After you have called for a tow truck, there are things you should do to keep you and your car safe while you wait.
How Long Do Tow Trucks Take to Arrive & What to Do While I Wait
1. If you can, move your car as far away as possible from moving traffic. Avoid parking on hills, blind corners or any area that makes it hard for other drivers to see you.
2. Once the car has been moved to safety, turn on the hazard lights and call for help. Hazard lights are even more important when it’s dark.
3. If you have cones or reflective triangles, it’s a good idea to cordon off an area around your car. If your car is in a busy area, it’s best to keep your seatbelt on.
4. When the car is safe, wait in your car until the towing company arrives. This keeps you safe from oncoming traffic and the elements.
5. Make sure you take all the belongings you’ll need from the car, like the insurance and registration cards before it gets towed away.
6. To further ensure your safety, stay in your car even if you are approached. Keep the doors locked and crack the window a bit to speak with anyone. Don’t open the car or take a ride from anyone other than the towing company.
7. When you call for the tow, ask for the license plate number of the tow truck and the name of the driver.
Car Emergency Kit Checklist
You should have an emergency kit in your car all the time. It should include a multi-purpose tool, a first aid kit, blankets, clothing, warning devices, a portable cell phone charger, snacks and water. You don’t know how long you will have to wait. In the summer, there are other items you should also have with you. More water and shelter form the sun, like a pop up tent because the AC might not work and make your car very uncomfortable. This makes waiting in the summer a little easier. Having a fire extinguisher is also a good idea because an average of 17 automobile fires occur every hour, according to the National Fire Association (NFPA). Having one can stop a small fire from getting uncontrollable. Consider having a portable car battery charger. If the problem is a dead battery, you’ll be back on the road in no time.
Roadside Assistance & Towing in Irving, Fort Worth, Arlington, Carrolton & Plano Texas
Being stuck on the side of the road can be a drag. With a little planning beforehand, you can save yourself a lot of stress with a breakdown. Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance is available to help you with any roadside services you might need. At Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance, our goal is to get to stranded motorists as fast as we can and less than 30-40 minutes. To learn more, give Speedway Towing & Roadside Assistance a call today.